Greater Portland Christian School
South Portland, ME 04106
MIssion and vision: Greater Portland Christian School (GPCS) is an independent, multi-denominational, college-preparatory day school for preschool through twelfth grade. We are a Christian institution, founded and maintained for God’s glory above all other considerations. To achieve our highest goal of directing our students to worship their Creator and Savior through learning, we partner with Christian parents and churches in training our students to view every subject and every aspect of life through the lens of God’s Word, the Bible—to think biblically about their world, and then to live in harmony with that biblical perspective.
Greater Portland Christian School provides a distinctively Christian education which complements the home and church, brings a biblical perspective to every subject, and helps parents prepare their children for a God-glorifying life.
Connection with Christchurch: Christchurch children past and present have attended GPCS over most of its 40 year history. Two Christchurch members, Jerry & Mary G., are among the founders of the school.
Prayer and other needs: New building, increased enrollment, guidance through certification process.
To learn more:
GPCS home page
History: In the fall of 1971 a number of concerned parents met regularly to begin planning for the creation of a Christian school which would serve the needs of Christian families in the greater Portland region. They were convinced that the area needed a school that viewed every subject area from the historic Christian perspective and which would work in partnership with the Christian home and church.
Greater Portland Christian School opened its doors in September of 1973 with one teacher and ten students in grades one and two. The next year the school expanded, adding third grade and also kindergarten, and enrollment more than doubled to 24.
During the first three years, the school met in the education wing of the South Gorham Baptist Church. Desiring a more central location, the board negotiated to rent the Oakdale School in Portland, where GPCS stayed for three years, years during which Bea Mouton became the first principal, faculty increased to five teachers, and enrollment grew to nearly 100 students in grades K-6.
The next two years were spent at Cummings School on Ocean Avenue in Portland. More grades (K-9), more teachers, and more students were added. The second principal, Gil Kitchen, had a clear vision that the Greater Portland area needed a Christian high school, and he worked toward that end.
In the summer of 1981, GPCS moved to the Presumpscot School, where the enrollment increased to more than 200 students, and the school was finally able to offer all four years of high school. June of 1984 was a very special time as the first senior class, fifteen students, graduated. Later that summer, the school moved once more, this time to the Lincoln School in South Portland, its present home. After nearly 20 years of renting the facility from the city of South Portland, GPCS was able to purchase the building in 2002.
Organization/key individuals: John Bishop - Head of School
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6–7)
Christchurch Evangelical Covenant • 1900 Congress Street • Portland, Maine 04102 • 207-775-1900 • email@example.com